Friday, September 23, 2011

Do You Speak-a My Language? Tech Terms All Teachers Should Know-List One Using Wordstash & Wordle

In my last post I used the word “friended”.  After posting it, I thought what if some readers think I’ve made a huge grammatical blunder using “friend” as a verb. But then I thought, my readers don’t live under a rock. They must have heard this new techie vernacular. Which got me to thinking there’s so much tech talk out there, it’s difficult to keep up with it all.

So I decided why not create a sort of tech vocabulary for dummies. Well, not for dummies...you know what I mean...but for those of who aren’t afraid to use tech, but don’t always know what all the terms mean...we kind of smile and nod around the "super techies" pretending we know. 

Here are three posts in one! First, I’ve used http://wordstash.com to create a Tech Vocabulary List of “Tech Terms All Teachers Should Know”. Wordstash.com’s features make learning vocabulary incredibly efficient! You create a list of words adding them one at a time. Wordstash.com gives you the part of speech and definition. Some of the newer tech terms did not have a definition so I had to add it myself. But that’s the beauty of word stash, you can add your own definition if you want, and add an image from Wikipedia or Flicker for a visual cue. Wordstash.com saves all the words entered to generate a list that you name. You revisit your lists to study by using wordstash.com’s quizzes and games, and mark the words you’ve mastered, and the ones where you need extra practice.  

Wordstash.com let’s you say: “Adios flashcards!” 

Wordle.net, on the other hand, let’s you add lists of words and creates a beautiful word cloud. You decide the layout of the words by choosing the font and color. Check out the wordle.net I created for “Tech Terms All Teachers Should Know”Wordle.net can be used as a digital word wall, a visual reminder of words studied, and a reminder of how to spell the words.
                                                             Wordle.net let’s you say: 
“Good riddance word wall bulletin boards that take time and money to design!”  
This will be List One of “Tech Terms All Teachers Should Know”, and I will add more tech terms using other tech tools so we can continue to build our tech vocabulary and learn about other tech tools that support vocabulary instruction.  
Wordstash.com allows sharing of wordlists through Facebook, Twitter, Stumbleupon and De.li.cio.us or email. If you are unable to open the link, email me at fearlesstech4teachers@gmail.com so I can email you the list! Or, follow me on Twitter or Facebook, and I'll tweet or Facebook the list!  Check out List one!  http://wordstash.com/lists/36907-tech-terms-every-teacher-should-know

Wordle: Tech Terms All Teacher Should Know

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...